Monday, August 5, 2013

Former Mets catcher Todd Pratt has been battling cancer




Todd Pratt may have been Todd Hundley and Mike Piazza's understudy from 1997-2001, but Mets fans will never forget the series-ending walk-off home run he hit to end the 1999 NLDS against the Diamondbacks.

Shale Briskin
MM Assistant Editor

First off, my apologies for not finishing up the "Mets in All-Star Games" series. It is well past the All-Star Game itself, but I will still get it up to finish it off properly. This piece here though really caught my attention today.

Former Mets catcher Todd Pratt has apparently been battling head and neck cancer, but is doing better now. He was with the Mets from 1997-2001. In those five seasons, Pratt hit .265 with 17 home runs and 87 RBI.

I remember when I was younger, I didn't particularly enjoy seeing Pratt play because that meant my favorite player, Mike Piazza was on the bench. However, in recent time, I have gotten to really appreciate what Pratt did as a backup. In my opinion, he was the best backup catcher the Mets ever had. He had clutch hits when needed, was a great defensive catcher and was certainly a great presence in the Mets' clubhouse. No one in the late 1990s and early 2000s was as excited as Pratt when a big moment occurred. If you look in any video clips of highlights from those years, there is always a good chance you will see Pratt screaming like there was no tomorrow.

With all that said, please keep Todd Pratt and his family in your prayers!

Thanks to csnphilly.com for the link. For more information on Pratt, please visit this link:

http://www.csnphilly.com/baseball-philadelphia-phillies/todd-pratt-reveals-hes-also-been-battling-cancer

No comments:

Post a Comment